In this newsletter you will find:
I hope you find it useful – any feedback is welcome, contact me at: email@example.com
Happy Inspection Birthday
12 months ago we welcomed Ofsted into our provision. So what has happened in Safeguarding since? Here’s a 90 second overview to explain.
April Safeguarding Stats
You can view a podcast to refresh your memory or check your on the right track.
Unresolved concern are concerns that still require monitoring from either Safeguarding or from the reporting person. Please ensure that you update Safeguarding of the outcomes to learner concerns so they can be closed.
The safeguarding team will ask you for an update relevant to the level of concern.
Our concern levels are as follows:
– Information – At present staff member is monitoring the situation.Update request 28 days.
– Low Level – Staff member presenting doesn’t require involvement from the Designated Person. Update request 28 days.
– Moderate Level – The concern may require input from the Designated Person.Update request 14 days.
– High Level – Staff member requires immediate action from the Designated Person. Update request 7 days.
Current Total People Safeguarding Trends – April
Top of the current concerns for learners.
Below are a couple of links.
One is looking at research into the increase of student suicide rates, and the link with mental health wellbeing.
The other is a great story about a learner who opened up about how they were feeling when their tutor took the time to ask “Are you OK?”
Research into student suicide rates.
Great story for asking a learner “Are you OK”
Just 16 reports!?
About half of what we would normally expect.
This might be great news, but with the ever increasing number of learners we are taking on, a reduction in learner concern reports is unexpected.
While this might be a temporary trend, with colleagues being in a position where they are part way through many programmes and know their learners, we will see what the spring term brings.
Advice and Guidance– More than half of those concerns reported (9) were on study programmes.
– The threshold for reporting learner concerns is low. Any feeling or concern that you have about your learner can be reported and monitored.
All Colleague TrainingAs part of our commitment to safeguarding and a legal requirement to update/refresh colleagues with training at least once every 3 years (including regular updates which can include e bulletins the form of newsletters, updates via meetings, emails etc, to enable them to fulfil their safeguarding responsibilities effectively.)
We have created this to be an online self directed course which you can access through LearnerZone in your “Colleague Training Area”, the course is call “Safeguarding Refresher 2018” and is mandatory for all colleagues to complete and is expected to take around 60 minutes.
I addition we will be offering this course as a webinar from next month. Dates to follow
Other available trainingThere are a range of on line training courses available via the LearnerZone.
– PREVENT home office updated.
– Forced marriage.
– Child sexual exploitation.
I also have resources for:
– Alcohol awareness – alcohol
– Education Trust.
– Consequences – A thought provoking DVD aimed at teenagers and encouraging discussion the impact their actions might have.
– Side by Side – A facilitators guide.